Sunday, November 6, 2011

My most popular Halloween costume ever!

This year when the family was tossing around Halloween costume ideas, Rig threw out one he was excited about and I quickly shot it down.

"I want to be the Grim Reaper this year!"

"What, that's lame. Every fifth grader is the Grim Reaper, you should be something cool."

I immediately realized that I had hurt his feelings. I tried to change my tune and convince him that his idea could be cool, but the damage was done.

"Dad you always think up cool things I never do."

So I let him in on the secret of my inspiration- the internet. We went googling together and we came up with the inspiration for this:

An external frame backpack, some of Dad's clothes and a jar of pretzels from Costco and we had a masterpiece on our hands. I call it "boy with head in jar" and it is pretty creepy. I have never seen a costume get more attention than this one did. He easily won the costume contest at the Ward party.

When it was time to go trick or treating Rigdon got stared at, gawked at, poked and prodded, and had to take pictures with complete strangers.

After 3 houses of which Rigdon had been invited in to all of them and posed for pictures at two of them, he turned to me and said "This is going to be a long night." But just like his Dad, he is a ham and loved it almost as much as I did.

The costume is pretty hot and doesn't exactly excel in breathability. So after about half of our normal route he was ready to call it a night, but I wasn't. I was still enjoying the praise that each new doorstep brought. (For the record I am totally OK with living vicariously through your kids once in a while.) I compromised with Rigdon and let him take the lid off the jar to get some fresh air circulating and he finished off our neighborhood. It was a great night.

P.S. Sara is in charge of posting the cute pictures of the girls.

3 comments:

Grandma Cher said...

That IS the most AMAZING costume ever! I wish I could have seen the faces of the people you trick-or-treated to. I know I would have made that costume come in to my house so everyone could see it. Great Job! But, what in the heck can you ever come up with next year?

Darrell said...

That is an amazing costume! No seriously, that costume rocks!!! congrats!

Rachel Elder said...

K, I seriously need to get online more... WHY AM I JUST SEEING THIS?? That is hands down the coolest costume ever! That is saying something since I'm quite the Halloween enthusiast. It is seriously mind boggling. How the heck did you make that? Rig looks sweet!!! Miss you guys! :D